Thursday, August 1, 2013

Good Excuse: Zuchinni Bread

    
      It has been too long since I have updated, it's ridiculous. But, I have an awesome friend who asked for a recipe, I told her I'd blog it, and now I HAVE to. I hate not following through, so I like to make promises to others on things I'm not good at keeping :) . Win-win.
     So I have been a very healthy eater for the most part, for about 5 years, but more recently, I have tried to eat clean. As in, no preservatives, fresh made, raw food: grains, fish/chicken, fruit/veggies, and some low fat dairy. I made the best zuchinni bread ever yesterday, my kids didn't even care that there were pieces of green in their bread, it was that good. It does have about 3/4 a cup of cane sugar in a loaf (or you could use NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose if you have that on hand) because I don't believe in completely depriving myself....but next time I might lower it to 1/2 a cup :)

Zuchinni Bread

1    c Greek Yogurt
1/2 c apple sauce, unsweetened
3/4 c cane sugar or 1 c NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose
3 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c Zuchinni, grated
1 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c slivered almonds

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease 1 large loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans with coconut oil, set aside
3. In medium bowl, add yogurt, applesauce, sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract: mix until blended
4. Fold in Zuchinni
5. In a separated bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix
6. Pour flour mixture over zuchinni mixture and mix until combined
7. Fold in almonds
8. Spoon batter into loaf pan
9. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour for 1 large loaf or 30-35 min for the 3 mini loafs. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Lela Boyd said...

YUMMMMMO! I'm going to try it! I think l'll put shredded coconut in it too. I love coconut in zucchini bread! Thanks for sharing Love!

Tara Schrock said...

Oh my gosh coconut would be heavenly Lela!!!