Monday, February 21, 2011

More To Learn




I am in love with this quote, it has so much meaning to me, and really was one of those, 'huh' moments that I love to get.


"We've all known a teenage beauty who's convinced she's hideous. Or a macho daredevil who is driven to prove he is not a weakling. Or a "supermom" keeping the family going by her indefatigable efforts and struggling to fight off depression over her inadequacies. The beauty would never had suspected herself hideous if she had not made her appearance a major issue by wishing to be gorgeous. The macho punk would never had doubted his strength and courage if he had not first indulged in fantasies of himself as strong and courageous. The mother who doubted herself to a point of depression would not have sunk so far had she not gotten herself into the business of proving herself to be a "supermom"."


-C. Terry Warner





2 comments:

coolhandluke said...

Great thought. I had to read it a couple times to understand what it was saying...maybe I should "multi-task" less. Is it worse than if you think you are a weakling and not like it, but not go all macho and try to tip the balance in the other direction? In other words just wallow in your own self-pity? It's probably as bad in it's own way as trying to overcompensate or not be content with who you are.

Tara Schrock said...

Yeah I would say that it's bad to be 'weak' and be okay with it. I think that the professor who said this was trying to set a 'calm' on people. Alot of people try too hard to be everything. Too much time trying to be one thing means you're definately lacking in others. If I am too into making myself look perfect, I'm not focused on others or my insides. If I am trying to be this 'supermom', I will wear myself out and be anxious, and depressed for not spending hardly anytime on myself. The macho guy trying to be 'super' in everything, is trying to prove he's not normal, he's better than others. I just think trying to prove yourself to be perfect in something, almost proves you aren't. Hopefully that makes sense, it did in my head :0)